Google+ Thursday Thirteen #11 - Blog Pet Peeves | Callista's Ramblings

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #11 - Blog Pet Peeves



13 Blog Pet Peeves

1. Requiring registration to comment on your blog. I don't want to register with EVERY blog site just so I can comment on your blog. If you want comments, change your settings or go with a different site that allows you to change them.

2. Illegible text. What does that say? Exactly. It says illegible text. Don't put light colours on light backgrounds or dark colours on dark backgrounds. If I can't read it, I won't.

3. So much stuff on your side bar/blog that it takes over 3 minutes to load. I just don't have the time nor the patience. Trim it down please!

4. No Content. If it's boring, don't expect people to come back. I don't claim to be some wonderful writer but at least offer SOMETHING of value!

5. Contests/Giveaways and links to them that don't specify country. I hate going through the motions to enter something only to find out 5 minutes later that it's for US residents only.

6. Excessive use of swear words. Once in a while is one thing (although I prefer none, or just little ones like darn,) but every 5th word is another. I just won't bother reading your post.

7. Sudden absence. I hate coming across a blog that has tons of posts I like only to realize that the last post was 8 months ago. Or worse, 3 years. Grrr.

8. Entering secret codes to post comments. Especially when they aren't readable! Spybots can't read them at all right? So why do they have to be so hard to see?

9. Music that autoplays. For one thing it makes it load SLOWLY. (see #3) Also, who said I wanted to listen to music? Maybe my baby is sleeping in my arms while I surf and you woke her up!

10. Gross stories with TMI that don't have a warning. I don't mind gross stories and often even like to read them, just give us a warning so we can finish eating first.

11. An excess of religion. It's your blog. It's your religion so of course you are entitled to mention what you follow or quote scripture but PLEASE don't OVERDO it. I'm NOT your religion and I don't like feeling like it's being shoved down my throat with a reference to it EVERY post and EVERY other line. I've left many a good blog off my blogroll because I couldn't get over the feeling of drowning in a religion not my own.

12. Blogrolls with EVERY blog you've ever visited on it. It's supposed to be your FAVOURITES! I visit way more blogs than are on my blogroll (and I try to comment so you know I've been there.) Also not updating them. I've found many blogs through blogrolls that haven't been updated in 3 years. (see #7) You obviously don't visit your blogroll very often.

13. Discrimination of ANY kind. Luckily I don't come across that very often in the blogosphere.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:11 PM

    i am so with you - especially on #2. you nailed this one. nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:11 PM

    Great list. I agree with quite a few of those. It's amazing how many blogs just stop blogging. I hate that. At least say goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A snappy good list this is too. The first two are probably the top peeves, I too dislike the music, etc., etc., etc. Oh, if you visit my site I post lots of jokes and pictures. Some of them are pretty racy. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Very good TT list! I agree with 99.99% of them. It would have been 100%. But that's only because I swore in my TT list today :o) Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with just about everything you said -- I HATE music on a site or blog and that illegible text thing? Ugh.

    Good job. Now I just need to find your booking it post! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I hate when people swear a ton, and I don't like an overly religious blog, even though I am very "religious" and maybe even the same religion, I love God, but shoving Him no others is off-putting.

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:18 PM

    Well-done.
    There are some blogs I just can't visit because they actually freeze my computer up.
    We have DSL - it should not take 9 minutes for your blog to load. Yikes!
    Take care,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:18 PM

    I agree with most of those, especially #1 and #2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:59 PM

    You wrote exactly what I would write if I were to do such a list. Color, religion, long blogrolls, giveaways, comment codes, the music autoplays actually are shockingly loud, those all annoy me. I will say that I have a lot on the sidebars but not as much as others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I agree especially about the music, the worst is the really tinny sounding ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on most of these--especially music and registering. I don't use winky blinky linky or whatever. Just come and comment. There are certain religions I skip because they are the antithesis of what I believe. Great TT.

    http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/09/thursday-thirteen-13-communication-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's too bad there isn't a "caution list" like this that comes up as you are registering/planning your blog with the host to keep it straight from the start!

    & i would add a pet peeve i found right at the very beginning...people register great blog names & then don't use said blog for the last 5 years! i choosing a blog name & it was unavailable. so being nosy i checked to see what the other like-minded person was up to...turns out there were 2 measly posts back in '02 & there sits my so-desired blog name! hmpfff..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:30 PM

    I agree with most of these, except I don't worry too much about swearng. I can't stand people who play music at me and I get very irritated when blogs take so long to open that I can get up and go for a walk whie all the badges, photos etc are laoding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:00 AM

    I love your list. I hate busy side bars (although mine have some stuff now), and the music is annoying when I put up a bunch of tabs and don't know where it is coming from. I don't appreciate a bunch of swearing either, it might be a habit in a persons speech, but in writing there is the opportunity to edit, and I don't think it enhances what someone is saying. I put up a TT this week with a huge amount of content, I wish I would have found yours sooner. I don't think my blog is boring, well, maybe some posts, but I always keep in mind that I like reading what others have written so some are probably liking my posts. And my big problem, I write comments that are too long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:47 PM

    First, I found you through unclutterer.com -- a blog that I think meets all 13 of your reqs. I've tried to follow these on my blog as well (http://www.andamom.com) -- and there are a few additional points I try to follow (stated in the positive):

    #14 - Finding and creating substantive content that would be beneficial to a larger audience. Sometimes I post about specific things in my life -- but I still hope that someone reads it and says "yeah -- that makes sense".

    #15 - Keeping pics that accompany posts tasteful. Many people access from work and don't want to see things that make them blush...

    #16 - Accepting comments even if I don't agree with them (as long as they aren't distasteful).

    #17 - Crediting sources where credit is due...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Hi Callista! I found your blog on She Who Blogs. I agree with your list. Very thorough. I like how you state your opinions with confidence.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in totally agreement here. I mean, what the heck?

    This is a list so close to home, I swear I could've written it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:38 PM

    This is a great idea for a list!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...