Google+ Nursing in Public | Callista's Ramblings

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Nursing in Public

(c) Flickr User Tim/Selena Middleton
Do you/have you ever nursed in public or are you a private nurser?

I pride myself on being able to nurse anywhere without showing everything to everyone and without covering up my baby either. I've practiced a lot and can nurse, often without anyone knowing what I'm doing. I thought I'd make a list up of the places in public I've ever nursed.

This is mostly for my curiosity but I hope it also encourages other nursing moms to try breastfeeding wherever they are, instead of hiding in a corner or worse, a bathroom to feed their baby. Practice at home in front of a mirror to see how much you are showing.

After you check out the list, let me know if you've nursed in public somewhere I haven't.

Places I've Nursed:
  1. Front Porch
  2. Back Porch
  3. Park
  4. McDonalds
  5. Tim Hortons
  6. Burger King
  7. Highway Rest Stop
  8. By the Side of the Road
  9. On the front steps of a church
  10. Inside a church
  11. At a Girl Guide meeting
  12. At Girl Guide Camp
  13. At family camping
  14. At playgroup (which is in a school)
  15. Library
  16. On the bus
  17. At the bus stop
  18. At the beach
  19. At Jungle Cat World 
  20. The Mall (thanks Canadian Coupon Mom for reminding me) 
  21. In a pool (a few pools actually) (ADDED July 7)
  22. ?? I'm sure I'm forgetting some
So have you nursed somewhere I haven't? Maybe you'll help me remember something I've forgotten. Leave a comment!

15 comments:

  1. Nursed at a mall, at a wedding reception, in a nursing station (guess this isn't public but there were tons of ladies in there), done a few you did also. hmm now that has me thinking back four years!

    www.canadiancouponmom.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the mall, how did I forget that? Thanks. Thanks for adding to the list and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In line at the grocery store, while unloading my groceries and keeping track of my 2 year old daughter!! haha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did it at a hockey game while walking through the bleachers. No one knew or could see anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nursed everywhere - and I never use a cover ... I'm in France though and although barely anyone breastfeeds they are cool with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I forgot, I nursed on a plane, in a taxi in NYC, in a museum (several actually) an art gallery, on the floor in the supermarket ... I'm sure there are more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Samantha Fields12:22 PM

    walking down the street, monkeytown, food basics, zellers, walmart, at kid's friends birthday party with tons of kids and adults, boston pizza, Subway, Taco Bell, Pita Pit, Arby's, at the carnival, emergency waiting room at both hospitals here, doctors office waiting room(ob and family doctor), think there are more but cant remember...

    ReplyDelete
  8. unfortunately my son had nursing issues so I didn't get to nurse him in public or much of anywhere. But I was an exclusive pumper and I have pumped many places, at a teachers office in a school, in my car, and driving to and from California in the car. oH in a bathroom at a big conference center. I know that doesn't sound public, but where there are huge bathroom lines and I am sitting on the couch as everyone, and I mean EVERYONE that works for the same company as I do walks by and begin talking to me as I have a pump hooked up to me it feels very public. LOL! Hopefully I will be able to nurse my next baby. Then I can begin my own public nursing list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big supporter of nursing! I was never real thrilled with nursing in public for myself, although I did put my baby girl in her sling at 6 months and walk around downtown Baltimore nursing with no one the wiser! Gotta love those slings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have nursed in public, but I dont know that I have ever nursed in public without covering up. Even after 4 kids, I still dont feel like I've mastered it without flashing people when my kid decides to pull off and look around. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and the kids get around don't you ;-)
    Waving at you from the gritty city.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chelsea... I'm not as good at it while standing but I have done it!

    Rebekah.. They were all preoccupied anyways right? LOL

    MummyinProvence... I would have thought that if it was rare, it would be frowned upon. That's great that they are comfortable with it.

    Samantha.. great list thanks! Oh yeah, doctor's waiting room, will have to add that one.

    fancygrlnancy... Sorry to hear that but at least he still got breastmilk. I can't believe you pumped everywhere. I hate pumping and for me, pumping is more private.

    Turning the Clock Back... I have yet to figure out how to nurse in my sling. Need to figure it out.

    Jacobsen family... That's okay, at least you didn't hide in a bathroom or never go out! Personally I think using a cover up just draws more attention but if that's how you are comfortable, than that's okay!

    Frances... With my first kid we barely went anywhere. Now with my third kid, I go wherever I want. I couldn't stay home everyday with 3 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this and thanks for commenting on my NIP post! Great minds do indeed think alike.

    I never cover up, either. Okay, I did at the family reunion (but there were a large number of teenage boys and old men there, I just felt like I didn't want to be the boob everyone was talking about). But I'm fine with taking it out in a mall, food court, restaurant, airplanes/ports, whatever.

    I sometimes see other mothers nursing and I think they have all had covers. Even the mums' group I attend, the other mums use covers (I don't).

    I kinda want to do some kind of *thing*... like a high five or (ha) chest bump. We need a secret signal or something. Just to way - way to go, fellow NIP mama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! I nursed everywhere too with one of those great cover up things where I could look down and see what my baby was doing but no one else could see. Saw you on Linked In. Stop by and follow back! Have a great weekend.
    www.mommymasters.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/mommymasters

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...