Here is what I wish I'd known BEFORE starting my blog:
- The importance of my own domain name. Since I wanted it to be more than just a personal blog for family and I wanted to reach many people, I should have purchased a domain. (I'll be doing this soon - long overdue)
- The importance of posting regularly. I focused too much on stats instead of writing the quality content I wanted to be known for. I've strayed from my original vision for this blog and I am working to restore it.
- How much time it takes if you want to be successful. (be well known and/or monetize)
- How important social media would become. I wish I'd started my facebook fan page sooner and made a point of being active on all networks sooner.
- How to organize my time. I am still trying to figure this out. I would have gotten so much more done if I could just organize my time.
If you don't, what's something you wish you'd known about another topic?







































definitely agree with all the points. For me, task management is something I need to do more now. I can never go through all my emails and always forget about the important ones.
ReplyDeleteGood pointers.
I agree with your points too. I started blogging in 2008 after my daughter was born, and did it for fun. Seriously started blogging the last two years. It does take a lot of work. I am not too worried about getting too big, it becomes a job if I do that. And I still want to be a mommy who has time to homeschool and play. ;)
ReplyDeletePicking a name when I started my blog. Wish I had chosen a different one. Time management is definitely an issue. I have gotten away from writing posts relating to my blog as well. It is becoming too much about reviews and giveaways. I need to gear myself back as well. Good post!
ReplyDeleteThese are all things I wish I had known sooner as well! Especially the stats, I've learned now that if I can keep my readers coming back I don't care about my stats .
ReplyDeleteI would have started on wordpress from the get go. My transfer was a nightmare.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest thing I've realized is that I just need to stay true to myself. No need to impress anyone else. My blog is my outlet.
ReplyDeleteI agree with #2 as well. I feel like I haven't been true to myself as a place to have fun posting. It's become too much of a job to me and I don't like that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you - especially number 5!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had picked a genre and stuck with it. I'm all over the place and nowhere all at once...
ReplyDeleteTime management is the hardest thing for me right now. I see so many hours in a day, but I never seem to be able to fill them in the most productive way. I think I'm going to have to break down and go to the dreaded spreadsheet - and actually stick to the schedule!
ReplyDelete